Saturday 19 July 2014

Recipe: Courgette pasta

I am a huge courgette advocate. I think it might be one of those things you only begin to like as your get older, as both me and my sister hated 'corj-ee-ette' (as we used to call it) growing up. My mum gets most of the credit for this recipe, and I added a few things in along the way. My mum first made this when a family member presented us with a giant courgette she had grown in her garden - no, not a marrow, just a really really big courgette. We had to find something to do with it, and that's how this recipe was born.

It's an unbelievably delicious and inexpensive meal and everyone I have cooked it for has loved it, even my courgette-hating boyfriend.



Ingredients:
(serves one)
2 whole courgettes - grated
1/2 red onion (optional) - finely chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
Chorizo - cut into small pieces
A pinch of chilli flakes (or 2 if you're feeling daring)
Portion of pasta
Olive oil
Cheese - a small handful, grated
Knob of butter
Salt & pepper

1. Add the grated courgette to a large saucepan/frying pan with olive oil. It may seem like a lot of courgette but as you cook it, the water cooks off and it reduces dramatically in size
2. Add the chopped onion (if using), chilli flakes, salt, pepper and crushed garlic
3. Put pasta on the boil
4. Cook the courgette until it is considerably less green in colour (around 8-10 mins) then add chorizo
5. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes
6. Drain the pasta, transfer back into pan, and add grated cheese and butter. Stir through until fully melted.
7. You can either serve the courgette on top of the pasta or mix it in. I personally prefer to mix it with the pasta.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment